Here you will find answers to some of the most common questions in relation to students entering film festivals. If you have any additional questions, please email the Festival and Industry Relations Specialist, email@example.com.
MKS 360 (the side of the building closest to West Palm Ave.)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Yes, on a case by case basis, with thesis films having the highest priority. The Festival & Industry Relations Specialist decides which films will receive monetary support by critically evaluating the film and taking into account faculty recommendations and First Cut selections.
Yes, students own the rights to their films and can do what they want with their film. If you submit on your own, please let the Festival & Industry Relations Specialist know so that they may track your film's success.
Students may enter any festival they wish on their own, but they might want to check with the Festival & Industry Relations Specialist first to see if there are any special discounts or fee waivers for the festival before they spend their money.
Graduating students with thesis films have priority and are entitled to one consultation meeting with the Festival & Industry Relations Specialist. All other students can drop off a DVD copy of their film for evaluation but are not guaranteed to have a meeting. Students should not request a meeting until their film is completed and ready to be sent out to festivals. If you want the best evaluation of your film, it should be picture locked with final sound mix. Students can request a meeting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A FILMMAKER DOES:
- Create a Vimeo account and upload film to Vimeo and provide link and password of the screener to Festival & Industry Relations Specialist
- Create a FilmFreeway account and upload film to Vimeo - provide login info to Festival & Industry Relations Specialist
- Create a Withoutabox account and upload film to Vimeo - provide login info to Festival & Industry Relations Specialist
- Manage Press and Social Media, including:
- Press Kit
- Social Media
- Cover Letter and/or Director’s Statement
- Make at least 5 DVD copies of their film and drop off to MKS 360
- Forward all film festival and competition submissions to Festival & Industry Relations Specialist (for tracking reasons)
- Notify Festival & Industry Relations Specialist of any film festival and competition results
- Can consult with Festival & Industry Relations Specialist about film festivals of interest, competitions, distribution, artistic development opportunities (such as labs), and anything else that comes to mind now that you have made your film! You can reach out at any time. It is helpful if you list your Academic Program/ class year / Film Title
A FILMMAKER DOES NOT:
- Make their film public before they complete their Film Festival and Distribution round
- Forget to check their email linked to their festival submissions
The Festival & Industry Relations Specialist DOES:
- Assist in creating a Film Festival Strategy for individual films
- Make recommendations for where you should submit your film
- Broker deals with festivals to offer entry fee discounts or fee waivers
- Assist in shipping film prints to festivals on a case by case basis
- Respond to outside festival and distribution requests to screen films
- Track success of student films and screenplay projects
- Depending on budget, may pay for some festival and competition submissions based on faculty recommendations
- Take meeting requests and phone call requests for consultations – PRIORITY is given to graduating students who have completed their thesis Films - refer to the Consulation tab on the Film Festival Corner page
- Provide professional support and advice regarding film festivals, distribution, and artist support services (such as director and screenwriter labs)
- Provide advice and review of press kit materials
- Update film festival and distribution opportunities
The Festival & Industry Relations Specialist DOES NOT:
- Create profiles and upload your film to Vimeo, FilmFreeway, or Withoutabox
- Create or update websites or social media accounts
- Write cover letters for you